Monday, March 16, 2009

For my forth completed interview i interview the chief paramedic named Gregg Frederick and he works for Waukegan fire department.

1). Where did you attend school to get your degree/degrees?
A: Loyola University in Chicago
2). How long did you have to go to school to become a paramedic?
A: You will need to take a full semester course just to get certified
as a "First Responder". Then you will take another semester to get your EMT certification.
3). How long have you been a paramedic?
A: I have been a paramedic for 25 years
4). Why did you want to become a paramedic?
A: I did an internship during high school and from the first day I stepped foot in the building I knew that’s what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, so I pursued it as a career. I loved the fact that you work with a group of people that you bond with, and you become a team to help people in your community. Everybody on the team wants the same thing and that is to save other people lives.
5). What did your family think when you told them what you wanted to do?
A: My family was very supportive. My parents wanted what was best for me but they also wanted me to be happy, and this is what made me happy so they never stood in my way.
6). What is your most memorable moment in the field?
A: My most memorable moment was when I first started to go out on call, we responded to a car accident which involved 4 people and 3 of them where children. It was the worse thing I had ever seen in my whole life.
7). What are some of the reasons a paramedic would be called to the scene of an emergency?
A: A paramedic can be called to a scene for almost any type of situation. There is no limit to the types of calls we might run, mostly anything you can think of.
8). During an emergency, what are some things we can do to make your job easier?
A: If someone calls 911 or if you're the person who called 911, it is very important that you have accurate information about the patient or the scene. Know the "what, when, and, how" of the situation.
9). What do you do to stay calm during a crisis?
A: When faced with any crisis it is important to remember to sit back and take a deep breath, collect your thoughts, and figure out what the situation is instead of reacting right away. Because I have to remember that people lives are depending on the decision that I make.

No comments:

Post a Comment